The family Lamiceae has the Mint or menthe plant in this category. And there are even 13-18 kinds of
Mint has a strong smell and taste and we all love it because it is refreshing and tasty. Also it cools and is
used in cosmetics like mouthwash, toothpaste, ointment, bubble bath and more.
Mint is also used for meals, sweet and savory and it has many health benefits too like:
1. Better digestion- mint helps with digestion and has many antioxidants and phytonutrients to
soothe the belly. Also mint smell makes active saliva glands and eases the digestion with more
enzymes. The enzymes loosen the muscles in the belly and stop spasms. the Medical Center of
Maryland University said menthol and methyl salicylate soothes the gut and belly. Make cup of
mint tea after every meal and improve the gut health.
2. For headache and nausea- these can be helped with mint regularly. Due to the taste and smell,
this is good for external use too. Rube the nose and forehead with mint leaves and be relieved.
3. For hiccups- this happens with extra air in the belly and lungs, so have mint water and stop this.
Backyard Medicine said hiccups are resolved with mint consuming.
4. Better breastfeeding- breastfeeding problems like tenderness, discomfort, pain in breasts and
nipples can be cured with rubbing mint leaf or mint tea. Studies proved that mint is amazing for
5. Ameliorating memory- as many studies said, mint is amazing for aromatherapy and thinking or
memorizing. This removes forgetfulness so make mint tea every day. Also leave the leaves
around the house for more energy.
6. For cough and breathing issues- since the smell is amazing and strong, breathing gets improved
and cough and cold get treated too. Get cream with mint to rub on the chest and also use fresh
leaves too. For breathing issues, inhale mint tea steam and have mint tea daily.
7. Weight loss- mint makes more digestion enzymes and helps food work in the gut, so it makes
weight loss too. Have mint daily and turn fat to energy.
8. Better immunity- many nutrients are in the mint leaf, like calcium, phosphorus, vitamins D, C, E,
B complex. All make immunity better and stop cold or infections.
9. Cancer dealing- a study proved that mint can influence cancer of the liver, colon, lungs and skin.
This leaf has phytochemicals and ceases the blood for tumor growth.
10. Removal of asthma- mint is amazing for breathing problems so this goes for asthma too. It has
rosmarinic acid that has antioxidants and stops allergies and leukotrienes.
11. Boosted mood- if you smell mint leaf, you already feel better and fresh or energized. This
removes anxiety and stress and you make more serotonin. If you have bad mood, smell some
mint or relax in mint bath.
12. Better oral health- mint leaf also removes bacteria and inflammation, so it can protect the oral
cavity too. Rub mint leaves on gums and teeth for a few minutes.
This plant is easy for growing. It has specific roots named runners since the new leaves go along the
growing roots. Plant these leaves in separate pots since they need lots of space for growth.
Use mint seeds for replanting. The 2 nd option is much better. For this, get water retaining pot 12-16 inch
wide, potting soil and the mint plant.
The plant needs sunlight and watering often.
Trim the plant to 6 inches height and this will make a bush to stop extending in other directions. Keep in
mind to trim the flower buds to keep the plant in place. Also know that you should NOT harvest more
than 1/3 of the leaf to avoid losing the whole plant. Dry off the leaves you pick and hang them upside
down on a tray to dry off some more.
Use of mint
Use mint for many uses. For cooking, as aromatic for drinks, for cosmetics and curing too.